Sunday, November 28, 2004

Sunday (The day before my birthday)

okay not actually the day before my birthday, but its a song title by Moby and I am currently listening to it. I have found that I enjoy listening to my entire library by shuffle mode. I have so much music that I often don't even recognize the song, and sometimes my computer is more in the Christmas spirit than I am, but it is a nice way to get some variety. Oh and everyone should wish Crystal a happy birthday today, she is 21! But what I was really gonna post about is the books I read this week. Not as many as I thought I would, but still closer to the number I used to read every week in high school than I have been doing in college: Tuesdays with Morrie A very short book, but it has a lot of good things to say about death and life and how to approach both. It is a compilation of a several conversations a student had with his old college professor (dying of Lou Gerig's disease) in the last months of his life. Although it borders on the sentimental and sometimes crosses over it was a really good book to read and realize how much happiness and joy are dependent on one's attitude instead of circumstances. It was also very fitting considering the theme of death already present in the past week. Snow Crash Both my brothers have repeatedly recommended this book to me, so I finally decided to give it a go. I had read Diamond Age by the same author while in London this summer so the style of the book was not completely unexpected. However I liked this book a lot more, a good read all around. It is a sci-fi type book set in the near future of a different but recognizable United States. Although in this book the government has dissolved into different small groups and Burbclaves all with their different allegiances, rules, characteristics, etc. The main character is Hiro Protagonist (yes you read that right, just one more reason to love this book) and he is a hacker. The book weaves in themes of computer programming, religion, myth and language. Angels & Demons This is a book by Dan Brown that resulted in me sleeping for only 2 hours Friday night, but I should have known that considering the highly suspenseful nature of DaVinci's Code which I had read previously. This book also features the Harvard sybologist Robert Langdon, however it takes place in an earlier adventure before DaVinci's Code. The book over all was interesting and exciting in a very similar way to DVC, but I found it lacking some of the depth that the second book had. It was interesting though the extreme similarities in how the book was laid out and written, almost formulaic actually. It deals with the Iluminati society and its ancient war against the Catholic church, this time with a strong focus on Italian architecture and the secrets of Vatican city. I guess I would say it was overall an enjoyable read, but not especially high quality. Those were the only three books I read for pleasure. I also read Waiting for Snow in Havana, although I have yet to complete it. That book has turned out less interesting than I originally thought it would. Plus it seems to go on forever, not a good characteristic of a novel. Okay I wasn't gonna write about this and really don't feel an obligation to comment unless you have something to say, but I have been noticing that no one has commented in over 2 weeks....

1 Comments:

Blogger Crystal said...

Thanks for thinking of me on my birthday! :) Yay for reading all those books, I miss being able to do that.

11/28/2004 04:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home