Tuesday, September 28, 2004

tuesdays are always better than mondays

Just had a lovely visit from Andrew and last night has another good visit from Nathan and Co. Although these things tend to cut back on my homework time, I wouldn't have it any other way, college truly is a great time in life. Oh as an update from the camera field, I am definitely thinking more and more seriously about purchasing the Minolta Dimage Xt. However any decision will have to wait until I get another paycheck and I should also probably consult my parents to get their input. Yet today I was reading an article on consumerism and how Christians should live in today's materialistic society. I mean I don't need this new camera at all. I would like one, but there are also a whole lot of more beneficial ways to spend almost 200 dollars. Is it a sin for me to spend money on a pure luxury, when there are so many in need? What do you all think? If you want more info, the article I read can be located through e-reserves for GC people or try here. So that is some of the things on my mind. Oh and just cause I feel like it, here is the "recipe" for my pasta salad. Ingredients: one box of whole wheat pasta 3-4 tomatoes 1-2 cups Greek Vinegarette dressing 8oz Feta cheese (although more is always nice, if you can afford it) 1 onion 1 cucumber 1 green, red or yellow pepper Parmesan cheese to taste Instructions: Cook pasta, chop veges, mix all ingredients together until very yummy. Chill and then eat, or if you are really hungry reverse the order.

3 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

I don't think it's a sin. I think the sin is ignoring the needs of others and caring more for your own interests. There is a balance that needs to be meet, and this is sometimes hard to find. It's an interesting topic and one that comes to mind whenever I make a large purchase, go through another pay check, etc. There are no easy answers, C.S. Lewis has this to say~ "I do not believe one can settle how much we ought to give. I am afraid the only safe rule is to give more than we can spare. In other words, if our expenditure on comforts, luxuries, amusements, ect., is up to the standard common amoung those with the same income as our own, we are probably giving away too little. If our charities do not at all pinch or hamper us, I should say they are too small. There ought to be things we should like to do and cannot do because our charities expenditure excludes them." (Mere Christianity)

9/28/2004 08:36:00 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Sin? I suppose that depends on how you define sin... I like what C.S. Lewis (and Steph) had to say. I guess you could go to the extreme and say, is it right for me to have more than the extreme basics (shelter, food) when there are people suffering in the world that would benefit from my money or my time. At the other extreme, there is total consumerism. Where do we fall on the spectrum? And where should we fall? How far do you go?
The world is such a confusing place...

9/29/2004 07:15:00 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

good questions Katie! Maybe we should move this discussion to katchup time.... but then again maybe not.

9/29/2004 03:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home